Sunday, June 21, 2009

Grease Trap Cleaning

Today is my new start to the blogging world. (July,31, 2010)
I hope restaurant staff will share their kitchen experiences, good or bad with me and my blog.

My first post is on cleaning a grease trap.

The grease trap design has technically not changed in 100 years. The design of a conventional grease trap allows for up to 85% of the grease in the wastewater to bypass the unit. Sadly 15% of the grease is ending up in the sewer or septic system. The reason that grease traps give off a rancid odor is that rotting food particles along with rotting fats, oil and grease are stored in a conventional grease trap. The rotting grease is called Brown grease. They are typically pumped out at best every 3-4 months. Most grease traps are poorly maintained.

Through my work, over the years, I have had the pleasure of smelling many rancid grease traps. My first job was at a private golf club in Toronto, Canada. Being the new dishwasher, I worked near the grease trap. It always smelled. About ten years later I was dating a women that owned a fish and chip restaurant. Being the nice guy, I would help out doing the dishes on the very busy Good Friday's. (2 I think). I would always ask, "What the hell is that smell". I would get the response, "Oh that ....the fn grease trap". I never thought much more about it until I started marketing an automated grease recovery device. ( Goslyn at http://www.greasetrap.ca/ )

I thought to myself how about all those poor son of a guns that had to clean out a grease trap. I have never cleaned out a grease trap by hand. I cant imagine what the experience would be like. I have seen a few people actually gagging upon getting near some of the grease traps that we have replaced with grease recovery devices. (GRD)

I always wonder do many restaurants allow employees to still clean these things out by hand? If so, how do you dispose of this awful brown grease?

10 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Grease trap is used to filter out oils and fats. This can affect the efficiency of the device, which can lead to a blockage of wastewater, foul smell then it is regular cleaning and maintenance of grease traps is necessary. Thanks...

    Restaurant Grease Trap

    ReplyDelete
  2. The role of grease trap is really important. It helps prevent the blockage of the sewage system by blocking the grease from going to the sewage. And grease trap should be clean regularly depending on how often you use grease in your restaurant.
    SRSInterceptor.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grease traps Cincinnati Ohio capture grease from the wastewater flow. Grease traps slow down the flow of hot greasy water, allowing it to cool. As the water cools, the grease separates and floats to the top of the trap while the water flows down the pipe into the sewer. The grease is trapped by baffles that cover the inlet and outlet of the tank. If the tank is not pumped frequently enough or the drain lines are not maintained properly, backups and blockages occur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The basic function of grease traps is to prevent fat, oil, and solids from reaching the drain of the kitchen and the sewer system of the municipality.

    grease separator

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep sharing such informative blogs. Hampton's the best commercial and residential plumbers offers Grease Trap Cleaning for restaurants throughout Hampton Roads including Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Hampton, Chesapeake, Newport News, Suffolk.
    Waste Oil Removal Norfolk

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep sharing these informative blogs, I really appreciate the efforts made by the blogger.
    Waste Oil Removal Virginia Beach

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really I am very impressed with this post. Just awesome... I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.
    deep cleaning Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great post. I just found your blog and needed to say that I have truly appreciated perusing your blog entries. I genuinely want to believe that you post again soon. Large gratitude for the helpful data.
    Grease Trap Cleaning Virginia Beach

    ReplyDelete